My Healthy Community
To create Healthy Communities using a model of Education, Outreach and Community Engagement in order to impact all aspects of health for individuals and communities as a whole
Coming together as community to improve the overall health for all (mental, physical, spiritual, environmental, social, financial)
Working together as community to shift the focus from I-llness to We-llness
We’re giving people something to believe in. We live in a world where people have lost faith. What we are creating is massively empowering, not just for what we are trying to build, but also for other people.
We’re giving people something to belong to. We’re in the throes of a global belonging crisis (Jonathan Fields). People are feeling the pain of not having their people. When you find your people, non-specific pain on many levels disappears. People come alive. Magic happens. The outcomes can be stunning.
What is it?
· We are a community of people, empowered patients and conscious contributors to wellness. The patients want to return to health and come together in community to help each other do so. The wellness promoters and practitioners (some of them patients themselves) are there to help coach and mentor the patients on their journey. It’s all about a We-llness focus. The “enemy” is “the one that’s making and keeping us sick”. “When I is replaced with We …” is the rallying cry, and it’s about all aspects of health: physical, mental, spiritual/emotional, environmental, social, corporate and financial health. Our target audience is two-fold, both with a common goal of improving overall health. The first is the patient, the second is the conscious healthcare provider and wellness promoter that desires to help people through their own journey.
Creating A Revolution
The “model” for the “my Healthy Community” initiative is based on the research of Jonathan Fields, entitled “The Art of Revolution – Don’t Just Build a Business, Start A Revolution”. It reveals a full 18-element Framework for Nonviolent Consumer Revolution; a methodology that taps the power of revolutions and movement dynamics, blends them with story-architecture, response messaging and social technology to potentially launch a career, body-of-work, brand, business, product or idea exponentially faster, and with a fraction of the resources and effort.
This outline names the 18 elements and provides some initial ideas for my Healthy Community. The next step is for the “Core Team” to come to agreement on the 18 elements and then Create A Revolution.
Element 1: Define your Target Audience – to build a connected mission-driven community
· Is either/or an empowered (or becoming empowered) patient, or a wellness practitioner/promoter – similarities and differences in these
· Tired of all of the social issues that are plaguing communities and the world
· Concerned with one or all aspects of health - Understands that many of the issues are interconnected (Social Determinants)
· Knows there has to be a better way – many have found components of the better way and want to help others
· Knows that “no one is too small to make a difference”, but wants to connect with others
· Surrounded by illness - Doesn’t want to be ill any more, or ever - Sick and tired of being sick and tired himself, or friends and colleagues –
· Believes in a focus on wellness rather than illness - resonates with “healthy community”
· Accepts that diet and exercise are important, but knows it’s much more than that – wants to understand the social determinants of health
· Confused about what it takes to be well, as are many friends, family and colleagues
Element 2: Identify Shared Concerns (Pain) – have to understand what people are living with
Element 3: Identify the “Distress Causes” ( aka Dictator or “Source of Pain” or “Common Enemy”)
Big Money, which gathers all of these together – the Dictator is anyone that compromises societal and environmental health in favour of money (this doesn’t mean we’re against people making money, even big money, for a job well done. We’re talking about the ones that do it on the backs of others)
Pillars of Power
MONEY – focus on money (greed) has shifted people away from acting in the best interests of the population
Big Money (Corporations)
Element 4: Who Is Your Leader?
Someone(s) with a personal story as well as the passion to make this happen
· Humility – you don’t want a big ego-driven, arrogant person, because they won’t connect with people
· Vulnerability – someone who owns their humanity
· One of us - sharing a common pain and path cultivates believability
· Trustworthy - people need to believe what you say
· Desire to serve - lead by a true desire to serve
Element 5: What is your Inciting Incident? (Create one)
· Ours probably involves a statement from a “Visible” (an influential leader) – e.g. it could be the mayor (in combination with MP and MPP?) proclaiming that “THIS CITY” is going to be “The Healthiest City in Canada”
· It could be someone going on National TV
· Launch of Kickstarter could be the Inciting Incident – nice to tie in the above as part of that
Element 6: Identify your “Away From” Rallying Cry
· Moving away from I-llness, moving away from a “masking of symptoms” approach to a “focus on root cause” approach
· We’re moving away from the limiting beliefs that we cannot maintain or return to our healthy states
Element 7: Identify Unifying Beliefs
Maybe there’s a concept of a one-liner like “I’m part of a Healthy Community” that then points to the credo. The one-liner could go on our promotional products.
· Quotes being pulled together into a creed, based on each of the 6 elements of Health (Mental, Physical, Emotional, Environmental, Social, Financial) -- image available for sharing
Element 8: Define Your “Toward” Vision
The Healthy Community provides an environment where people can come together as an entire community, collaborate in areas that resonate most with them. It provides motivation, incentives, results tracking
· “Healthiest Community” in ???? (depending on audience, start with Burlington and Canada)
· We are moving toward a community-based approach to WE-LLNESS: physical health, mental health, spiritual health, emotional health, environmental health, social health, financial health, corporate health
· We are about:
o The knowledge that we are stronger when we come together to heal social issues like Poverty, Loneliness, etc.
o Empowering the individual to “remember” the body’s innate ability to heal
o Knowing that we are the Captain and Commander of our own health team
BACKGROUND for “Toward Vision”
You need to create a clear vision for that new reality. And it cannot be small. People don’t rally to make small things happen. What they rally behind is “Oh, wow. This is big. This is going to make a huge difference in my life and the life of so many other people. I want to get behind this, and I’ll sacrifice. I’ll work. I’ll go out there and spread the word and evangelize, because I believe so deeply, and the impact is so potentially big and profound.”
You need to paint a clear picture of that great shared outcome. Engage every sense. Make it real, and if possible, make it present tense. As if we’ve already arrived. Think of Martin Luther King’s famous I Have A Dream speech where he kept moving people to the future state. “This is the mega dream. This is where we’re going. I have been there, now we are all going to go there together.”
Critical point: This is where you integrate your product, service, brand, experience or venture. It is the opportunity to join together, rise up and help you create or grow what everyone needs. Even if you can’t yet define the precise solution, you must be able to define the key qualities of it. A great way to do that is to look at the Defining Traits of the Dictator and list the exact opposite of them.
Element 9: Building Your Resonant Story
I wake up almost every morning realizing how far I've progressed. I started as a 'Joe Average' guy living a 'Joe Average' life with lots of things going well and a few things not going so well.
Then the real journey began with a health diagnosis. There have been plenty of obstacles along the way, and with some persistence, faith, and lots of assistance, I have been able to get past many of the obstacles.
Then my 'holy grail' was found, I call it 'myHealthyCommunity'. I can see clearly that coming together as community is the answer to many of today's social and health issues. Think of the Who's in Whoville from 'Horton Hears A Who', when their voices were only heard when every Who came together in chorus. That's where we are today. When we come together in a much bigger way, we will solve issues such as: removing carcinogenic pesticides from our food supply, shifting our health care system to focus on wellness instead of masking symptoms and suggesting we've fixed the problem, understanding and solving the root causes of mental health issues with compassion, homelessness, and many others. This is what myHealthyCommunity looks like, it's as clear as the back of my hand.
And now I go through the return portion of the journey, that being to bring this holy grail back to share with others. There have been even more obstacles, but with faith, persistence, and lots more assistance, I trust that I will make it back and have many others join me in myHealthyCommunity.
I think we just need a few more Whos to join us. Our voice is getting stronger every day.
· My story is that the diagnosis comes with a “cannot be healed” logo with a “you’ll have this for the rest of your life” tattoo
· I have learned that the story isn’t always true and I want people to know that now
· While I haven’t healed yet, it feels like a big part of my story is to “stop playing small”, to get out of my own way and to pull people together to create the new story
· The target audience has seen and heard of many instances of people improving their health and believes that the “system” is set up such that these people are hard to find – referred to as Spontaneous Remissions
· We don’t have to always be on a path to i-llness. We actually know what is making us ill and we know how to correct. And we’re not going to sit back and be led into sickness any longer.
Element 10: Craft Your Manifesto
· We are Creating Healthy Communities all over the world, and we’re starting right here, right now
· We’re sick and tired of being sick and tired, and we’re going to do something about it
· We’re coming together as Community to Educate, Outreach and Engage our citizens –
· “When ‘I’ is replaced with ‘we’, even I-llness becomes we-llness” ~ Malcolm X
Element 11: Define the Path
Step 1 – Define the actions you want your Target Audience to take. What are the steps, the path, from the very first action to the very last?
· Path/Purpose (see previous circle imagery that we’re building on)
o Colleague – Education and early interest
o Crowd – Outreach; becoming part of conversations
o Collective – Outreach; creating conversations
o Collaborator – Community Engagement; reaching out to bring others in
o Core – Community Engagement; Inspiring the inspirers
o Other ‘C’ words – Cohort, Committee
· It’s all about Education, Outreach and Community Engagement as described in business plan
· [Education] The first step is to “come to the party”. You don’t even have to sign up. Just check it out and see what others are doing.
· [Outreach] The next step is to sign up to be a part of the R/Evolution.
o Connect with other Revolutionaries that have already realized that they are not too small to make a difference
o Get involved in the conversation
o Create your own conversation
o Learn about the successes of others, or bring your own
o Create your own projects or share the work of others - no act is too small, tell people about it to inspire others
o Don’t be afraid to plan a big act, don’t get caught in the “can’t”’s, look for ways that you can – the resources are available and want to help, they just don’t know you’re looking for them
· [Community Engagement] Engage your business as part of the community (this is where the path may split a bit)
o Get others involved in the Path
o If you don’t have a business but want to help other businesses get involved, introduce them to the community
o If you do have a business, sign up and advertise your services
Element 12: MESSAGING - Deepen the Tribe Mentality
A: Ken’s initial comments
· This is where the symbology with “My Healthy Community” comes in.
· Key messages from above – you’re part of something much bigger than yourself; everything you do creates a ripple – together we succeed, divided we fall
· You get a badge for your web site, a trinket and/or apparel for your body, products for your desk
Element 13: Assemble Your Spokespeople (Torchbearers)
Who are your zero-day true believers? Your launch team must not only have skills, they need to buy into the bigger why and the long-term where
· A – Event Team
· My network – my Healthy Community page, Constant Contact
· Lissa Rankin (Martha Beck), Robin and Meredith Youngson, Robyn O’Brien, Rachel Parent, Dr. Katz, Jed Diamond, Andrea Beaman, Derek Henry, Kelly Turner, Aviva Romm, Starla Fitch, Christine Schwab, Melissa Lapointe, Robyn Benson, Pamela Wible, Marc Winn
· International Groups –
Element 14: ID Key Resources and Allies
· Influencers -
· Believers -
· Technology Partners – web site -- need a web developer, need an app developer
· Creative Partners – marketing
· Well aligned trade or interest-based organizations –
· Legal Partners –
· Aligned media editors, producers, journalists –
· Funding partners –
· Kickstarter helpers –
· Film makers –
· Local businesses –
Element 15: Surround The Launch
Create the image that “Everywhere you look, this is the thing people are talking about”
· Small local groups in the community
· Speaking engagements
· Corporate engagements
Element 16: Mechanisms and Milestones
· Need to keep track of what’s working and what isn’t
Element 17: Design for Contagion
Can any of these 6 elements be organically tied into what we are creating?
· Social currency – people will share and love credit for finding something that shows they’re “in the know”. They want credit for having found something of value